An update on LWF’s summer Lake-a-thon season
Dear LWF supporter,
Our busy summer season is in full swing, and we wanted to take a moment to let you know what we’ve been up to.
Walk for Water 2015: one down, two more to go!
Thank you so much to everyone who joined us in Dunnottar last weekend for our first Walk for Water event of the summer. We had a great time – and together, we raised over $5,600! We were delighted to have Canadian water advocate Maude Barlow and country music artist Leanne Pearson as our special guest; we hope you enjoyed Leanne’s set as much as we did!
Our remaining two Walk for Water events will be taking place on Sunday, Aug. 9, in Gimli and Victoria Beach. These family-friendly community walks are a great way to be part of the solution – and have some fun, too!
You can participate in two ways:
- As a walker: Download and print our pledge form (or pick one up at a participating location near you), then collect pledges from the lake-lovers in your life. New this year, you can let us know you’re coming by pre-registering your attendance. Bring your completed pledge form and the money you raised to one of our events.
- As a pledger: Donate to someone you know or to Walk for Water in general. Your support will help sustain our ongoing work to restore and protect the health of our great lake..
Head over to our website for more information and helpful tips.
10 for 10
Each year, lake-lovers from all walks of life organize their own fundraising events in support of LWF. This year marks our 10th anniversary – and to celebrate, we want to showcase 10 special events over the course of 2015, a goal we’re calling “10 for 10.”
Several 10 for 10 events will be taking place soon, including:
- SUP CUP 2015: a series of stand-up paddleboard races at Grand Beach on Saturday, Aug. 8, hosted once again by our friends at The Hardcore Surf & Paddleboard Company.
- Playing for the Lake: the final concert in Fred Casey’s series of guitar performances takes place in Whytewold on Friday, Aug. 14
- Inland Sea: a photographic exhibit of William Pura’s work, launching Friday, Aug. 7 at Winnipeg’s Gurevich Fine art and remaining on display at the gallery until Aug. 27
We’ll be updating our website throughout the summer and beyond with information about 10 for 10 events. Please consider supporting these activities — or organize your own! (Not sure where to start? Contact us for assistance.)
Support that sparkles
We’re thrilled to announce our latest fundraiser: a gorgeous new necklace, courtesy of Winnipeg jeweller Hilary Druxman!
Designed as part of her popular philanthropic collection and unveiled in June, this handcrafted sterling silver necklace was inspired by the unique natural beauty of driftwood and makes a perfect companion piece to our signature shell necklace. Get yours at LWF outreach events and at Hilary Druxman’s Winnipeg boutique.
We hope you’re having a great summer season,
The LWF team
You are receiving this e-update because you are currently subscribed to the Lake Winnipeg Foundation’s online mailing list.